East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad 
   Along the ET&WNC Volume V: Freight Cars Part B

      Another treasure trove of information regarding one of America's most beloved railroads will soon be available to modelers and historians. Volume V of the acclaimed "Along the ET&WNC" series will conclude the  in-depth examination of the freight cars hauled by the narrow gauge railroad. From the gondolas to the cabooses  to the innovative "Trailer on Flat Cars", this book provides a detailed study of the rolling stock and their roles on the railroad.
      This volume provides all the details that railfans have come to expect from author Johnny Graybeal. Grab irons, paint schemes, and brake riggings are of course presented, as is a detailed study of the traffic patterns that emerged on the railroad throughout its existence. Sit back and enjoy your ride on the ET&WNC.

      In 1935, the ET&WNC joined with its trucking company subsidiary in offering trailer on flatcar (TOFC) service between Johnson City and Boone. Loaded trailers were sent on eastward from Boone to the North Carolina piedmont. This service lasted only four years, and all three cars were retired by 1940.

     Caboose 505 was the work horse of the freight train for almost 25 years. Crews found the car comfortable, and the occasional rail fan always got good pictures of the train from the top windows of the "crummy". Happily, this caboose is still in existence and in the hands of a private party.

     The ET&WNC's hopper car fleet was originally built to transport iron ore from the Cranberry mine to the furnace in Johnson City. They were also used to deliver coal, and finished their days hauling gravel for road building. The drop bottom doors were released by the ratchet mechanism in the center of the car, and a hand crank was used to close the doors after the car was empty.

Back        Home          Order Now!