East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad Linville River Railway
Number 7 (right) was built by ALCO's Brooks Works in 1906, the only narrow gauge rod engine on the ET&WNC that was not built by Baldwin. It was also the only 0-8-0 switcher built especially for an American narrow gauge railroad. Doug Walker Collection.
In 1907, the ET&WNC ordered a special locomotive from Baldwin to pull their first class passenger trains. No. 8 arrived with a high-pressure boiler and tall drivers for speed, and brass bands and trim to set the engine apart from all the others. The engine is shown at Johnson City in the first decade of the Twentieth Century, waiting to pull out. Jim Dowdy Collection, via Mike Dowdy.
At left is the second No. 8 owned by the ET&WNC, shown here at the Johnson City engine house. At one time, it was used to provide steam to heat creosote for crossties at Cranberry before being scrapped in 1939. Curtis Brookshire Collection.
Locomotive No. 9 (left) was purchased by the ET&WNC from Baldwin in 1911 and transferred to the Linville River Ry in 1917. This engine served for years on the daily passenger train that ran out of Boone each morning. She was the only LR engine to wear this fancy paint and lettering scheme. Dowdy Collection.
Number 28 was originally built for the Kentwood & Eastern Railroad in Louisiana. The ET&WNC purchased this locomotive used in 1918, and transferred it to the Linville River Ry. in 1919, where it was used for both freight and passenger service. She was scrapped in 1936. Doug Walker Collection.